I’m recovering from another great – but very busy – edition of POP Montreal. It was great to hang with many out-of-town visitors, meet some amazing new friends, and catch up with local pals… it was a bit of a whirlwind, but overall a great time. A few highlights include the CKUT birthday party with reggae legends The Mighty Diamonds (obviously I am biased, but this was truly a hell of a show), William Basinski, Royal Trux, Montreal expats Steve Jr, and a totally packed panel discussion about gentrification & music communities (above), but there’s so much more that I’m spacing on because honestly I’m still recovering and getting my brain back in order over here…
Thank you for being patient while I catch up on tracking, emails, etc.
:::WHAT’S UP AT CKUT:::
We’re hiring! Music-savvy McGill students take note and come join the best office on campus – we want you!!! Check out the full details here and hit me up if you have any questions about the job.
ckut top 30 – september 19, 2017
1. sound of the mountain – amplified clarinet & trumpet – mystery and wonder CC *
2. pierre kwenders – makanda at the end of space, the beginning of time – bonsound CC *
3. walter tv – carpe diem – sinderlyn CC
4. christof migone – greatest hits – squint fucker press CC
5. foonyap – apropos – self-released CC Continue reading
Princess Nokia rolled through Montreal last night and it was a doozy of a show — sold out room, crazy energy, and an all-around great performance. Forgive me, I’m still cobbling my brain and senses back together over here.
Other than that, we’re about to dive into frosh week and campus is abuzz with new students. Anyone else feeling especially old this time of year? Please reassure me that I’m not the only one.
:::WHAT’S UP AT CKUT:::
Did you catch CKUT’s live broadcast from the Montreal International Reggae Festival? No? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered — check out the full archives of the two-day broadcast on our website. They’re chock full of interviews, live footage, and special guests that you won’t hear anywhere else… this is truly exceptional content reflective of the amazing community of reggae artists & supporters here in the 514. Stream or download the full audio here and crank it loud for max listening enjoyment.
PS!!! Reggae fans, take note of our upcoming 30th birthday party with the legendary Mighty Diamonds, presented alongside our friends at POP Montreal. Do not miss!
ckut top 30 – august 29, 2017
1. sontag shogun – patterns for resonant space – youngbloods
2. markus floats – first album – self-released CC *
3. we r dying 2 kill u – buy your city/pay the rent – self-released CC *
4. sam shalabi & stefan christoff – s/t – small scale music CC *
5. david nance – negative boogie – ba da bing! Continue reading