Each Other played two short sets on Jordan Robson Cramer’s last show (February 28, 2012) of his Montreal Sessions radio residency, SPECTRAL MIGRATION. Check out the archives to have a listen to their tangled/intricate prog pop tunes and sweetly boyish harmonies. The rest of the SPECTRAL MIGRATION can be found there, including Beaver Sheppard‘s in-studio performance from last week (February 21, 2012). Thanks to Jordan for hosting such a great month of shows!
Tag Archives: jordan robson cramer
SPECTRAL MIGRATION || Live Bands!
Tune in tomorrow for Jordan’s second to last Montreal Sessions show on CKUT. For the next two shows we’ll be having musicians play live on-air. This week’s artist will be Beaver Sheppard. The following week will be the Montreal band Each Other.
- SPECTRAL MIGRATION>>> Every Tuesday in February 2012, 3-5 PM!
- Check out the show archives right here.
February’s Montreal Sessions: SPECTRAL MIGRATION
Tune into The Montreal Sessions this month to check out the psych pop leanings of Jordan Robson Cramer. Spectral Migration is the name of his radio residency which will feature lots of local music and live bands in studio!
The Montreal Sessions is a monthly artist-in-residency program. Each month a new local artist/DJ/musician/band/label/festival/promoter programs a month’s worth of live, weekly radio shows, which air every Tuesday from 3-5pm .
- Check out the show’s audio archives and our previous blog entries about the sessions.
These shows totally eclipsed our hearts: photos!
The first edition of the Total Eclipse music series has come and gone and it was a nutty and lovely way to kick off the CKUT Annual Funding Drive! Just in case you hadn’t heard about this happening, the concert series involved three consecutive nights of music at three different Montreal venues which were curated by three different CKUT radio shows and featured righteous local arteests…and this is what it looked like! Thanks to all the volunteers, CKUT staff, venue staff and local media who helped make this first crack at the series a successful fundraising venture for the station!! (All photos by Amber, Karen R. and a bunch of different music department volunteers! More photos to come!)
DAY 1 /// Thursday Oct. 20th /// Hosted by Underground Sounds at Casa del Popolo! Keywords: Gorgeous introspection + shimmering wall of effects/voice/rhythms + hilarious and disconcertingly intense stage relations complete with hip gyrations + epic-ly husky-vocal-ed rock music complete with harmonized guitar and honeyed bass lines + good buds everywhere.
DAY 2 /// Friday Oct. 21st /// Hosted by the Venus Collective at Divan Orange! Keywords: Black-masked post punk with big pre-recorded drums + lovely, primal poncho-draped dance party times + dark punk lighting the room with heraldic melodies.
***Word to the wise: get in contact with the funding dept. at CKUT to find out about nabbing a limited edition, silkscreened Venus radio tank top!
After this amazing-ness, Zimo played an amazing set…those photos are not yet available, but will be soon!
((( TOTAL ECLIPSE ))) Q&A with Stranger
- Total Eclipse (Oct. 20th-22nd) is coming, three shows in a row to herald CKUT’s annual funding drive. Hurrah! The brightness will be blacked out from our days and memories will be forged from stage light and shadow. Did you know that passes for the series are now available? They’re $20 for all three nights versus paying $8 at the door per show. You can pick up your pass at CKUT (3647 University St.), Phonopolis (207 Bernard Ouest) or Cheap Thrills (2044 Metcalfe st. 2nd floor).
- In order to welcome this mystical/mythical event into our collective consciousness, we’ve invited Total Eclipse performers to answer a Q&A. Our third interview subject is none other than the completely rad Jordan. Without any further ado…
What is your name? Stranger
What is the story behind your name? I played a show with an animal name before deciding there were too many animal named projects. Also, the word ‘stranger’ has multiple definitions.
Hometown: Victoria via Winnipeg
Home base: North of Tracks
Latest recording/release: Ancient Kids – Odd City
Describe the vibe/feel of this album in five words:
Stoner music for 15 year olds
What have you been listening to lately?
Too much. I work at a record store..
If you could see your music, what would it look like?
A multicolored, self-dribbling basketball balancing pointy-shiny objects on its head while bouncing uphill and trying not to deflate.
Most crucial equipment for your music making:
What’s your back up plan?
Whose songs will be playing on the oldies station 50 years from now?
Hopefully Lightning Bolt and Group Bombino. Most likely Nickleback.
- Jordan is Stranger and he’ll be sharing a bill with Sean “Nicholas” Savage and Solar Year this Thursday, Oct. 20th at Casa del Popolo (4873 boul. St-Laurent). The show is presented by Underground Sounds for the Total Eclipse music series.