I’ve been lying low over the past week fighting a gnarly cold (do they feel extra wicked in the summer, or is it just me…?)
However, I did make it out for a rad show last week celebrating a friend’s birthday, featuring ßtaß (above) and many others — it was a pretty all-star local crew fitting of the special occasion. Definitely worth leaving the house for!
:::WHAT’S UP AT CKUT:::
For the month of July, local music-makers and pigeon enthusiasts Parker Finley, Sydney Lee, Rachel Nam, and Jess ManniquinHead (of MagicPerm and Lonely Boa) are hosting the Montreal Sessions. Tune in for a playlist chock full of local bands, ranging from chillwave to new wave to no wave and more. The series will also featuring live performances by Respectful Child, Lonely Boa, and plenty of others that you’ll need to tune in to catch… You know what to do: listen live each Tuesdayfrom 3-5pm, only on CKUT 90.3 FM and ckut.ca
ckut top 30 – july 11, 2017
1. corridor – supermercado – michel records CC *
2. le fruit vert – paon perdu – three:four CC *
3. guerilla toss – gt ultra – dfa
4. v/a – pentagon black compilation no. 3 – pentagon black CC *
5. best fern – covers ep – self-released CC * Continue reading
How was your week? It’s been a pretty celebratory one here in Montreal: had some belated birthday festivities on Friday, went out for another dear friend’s birthday on Sunday, and my roommate has a birthday today. I swear half of my buds are Aquarians. It’s also been a great opportuntiy to bake (and eat) a ton of cake… not that I really need any excuses for that, though.
:::WHAT’S UP AT CKUT:::
For the month of February, local collective Don’t Fall takes the curatorial reigns on CKUT’s The Montreal Sessions. Don’t Fall is a collective based in Montreal, releasing annual compilation tapes as an act of preservation, documenting a specific time and place in music. Their Montreal Sessions series delves into compilation culture, zooming out on musical communities to highlight greater movements outside the scope of the individual artist. The radio series will also serve as an open call to the city of Montreal for submissions to Don’t Fall Volume 3. Catch it every Tuesday in February from 3-5pm.
ckut top 30 – february 2, 2016
1. stefan christoff – post mortem – old bicycle records CC *
2. no negative – the good never comes – psychic handshake CC *
3. v/a – bombay disco 2 – cultures of soul
4. moss lime – zoo du québec – telephone explosion CC *
5. tortoise – the catastrophist – thrill jockey Continue reading