- Total Eclipse (Oct. 20th-22nd) is coming, three shows in a row to herald CKUT’s annual funding drive. Hurrah! The brightness will be blacked out from our days and memories will be forged from stage light and shadow. Did you know that passes for the series are now available? They’re $20 for all three nights versus paying $8 at the door per show. You can pick up your pass at CKUT (3647 University St.), Phonopolis (207 Bernard Ouest) or Cheap Thrills (2044 Metcalfe st. 2nd floor).
- In order to welcome this mystical/mythical event into our collective consciousness, we’ve invited Total Eclipse performers to answer a Q&A. Our first interview subjects are none other than power duo un, comprised of Jen Reimer (drums) and Kara Keith (vocals, synths, effects). Without any further ado…
What is your name?
Jen: Jen Reimer
What is the story behind your name?
Kara: Its like; we’re “un” this and we’re “un” that and as a band we are un all the things containing too much fluffshit such as irony or politics or over worked razzle dazzle. Just rockin out…you know, unlame like.
Jen: jennifer was the most popular lady name in 1983… There were 8 other jen’s in my grade 1 class.
Kara: Calgary, Alberta
Jen: somewhere, alberta
Jen: I am currently working on two recording projects…un–> to be released + jen Reimer + max Stein–> to be released
Describe the vibe/feel of this album in five words:
Kara: Something For Heavy Make-outs
What have you been listening to lately?
Kara: The Vanishing
Jen: john cage, the ex, the make up, bauhaus, can, clues, carla bozulich, father murphy, depeche mode, gambletron, pauline oliveros, throbbing gristle, steve reich, the vanishing, matana roberts, joy division and anything from another place–
What is your craziest/most memorable/favourite tour story?
Kara: I guess when we got detained at the Can/US boarder in north Minnesota by two psychotic boarder cops because they found a roach in the car ash tray. But they only searched the vehicle after Jen admitted to smoking pot “once with her friend Kara”. After I had answered “no. never done drugs” in the adjacent interrogation room. They didn’t throw us in jail, like they were threatening to do for 6 hours. But they never let us pee either, which was in some ways worse.
What’s your pre-show routine?
Kara: It varies. But what ever it is; please don’t talk to me…I cant string full sentences together and everything feels very intense.
Jen: eat, pack, pick out fit, write set list on arm… hardly any talking
Kara: You know, work the room, network, network….try to talk to Beaver, spill drink on Dan Seligman….meet the next big thing and try to steal all of his ideas…pee in a pint glass and leave it on the bar.
Jen: lots of talking
Who would you love to share a bill with?
Kara: Mozart’s Sister
Who are your dream collaborators (living or dead)?
Kara: Kurt Cobain. I would like to just giver and jam and collaborate on making a baby
Jen: anyone from the above list of music as well as noam chomsky and louis CK and anyone i haven’t learned about yet that might blow my mind.
If you could see your music, what would it look like?
Kara: I actually can see my music. Its called synesthesia.
Jen: like you didn’t realize you had blurred vision till you got glasses and
everything got clear….
Most crucial equipment for your music making:
Kara: My Roland Juno 60. If it breaks…un breaks up….seriously, it’s the bass, the guitar…everything.
Jen: drums and sticks horns and analog
What did you do last Wednesday?
Kara: Don’t know
Jen: bed sick probably
Who do you cherish most in your life?
Kara: Don’t know. I cant measure my love.
What movie makes you laugh after a long day?
Jen: uncle cousin, the cat
What’s your back up plan?
Jen: this concept doesn’t exist for me. life. now now now
Have you found love?
When and where are your upcoming shows/performances?
Kara + Jen: Art Matters Sala Rosa Oct. 20, Venus Radio Divan Orange Oct.21
Whose songs will be playing on the oldies station 50 years from now?
Kara: R Kelly? ummmm, the theme song to hit tv show Friends?
Jen: nickleback… probably… sadly
- Find UN on BandCamp
- Facebook event for the VENUS RADIO night for Total Eclipse :: DEKODER + un + ManyMental Mistakes at Divan Orange (4234 boul. St-Laurent) onFriday Oct. 21st, $8 at the door
- Facebook event for the TOTAL ECLIPSE event series
- Further details about TOTAL ECLIPSE