…and Happy Samhain too! Today on NEW SHIT (Mondays from 3-5pm) we’ll be spinning some new arrivals as well as some more-spooky-than-usual older jams. BOoOoOooo! Tune into CKUT 90.3FM or listen along on-line.
After mentally whittling the list down like a fine piece of mid-century woodwork, I give you the week in concerts.
Friday October 28
Nans & Nat w/ Mars @ La Sala Rossa. 8:30 pm
Saturday Oct 29
Afrodizz + DJ Luc Brien @ Le Divan Orange. 10 pm
Sunday Oct 30
Monday Oct 31
Tuesday Nov 1
Wednesday Nov 2
Coco Méliès @ Le Divan Orange. 10 pm
Thursday Nov 3
Armen at the Bazaar @ La Sala Rossa. 8 pm.
It’s Venus Radio‘s annual funding drive edition, and that means RADIOKE! Tune in to hear your friends, colleagues, co-workers, radio hosts, and members of local bands sing their hearts out live on air for your pledges!
This year’s special guests include:
- Will Straw and Darin Barney of McGill’s AHCS department singing “Downtown” by Petula Clark
- CKUT board members Niko Block and Carol Fraser singing a heartrending duet
- Amber Goodwyn of Cobra & Vulture
- Natasha Pickowicz aka DJ Pickles
- Brendie “Fleetwood Sack” Brendo
- Kim “Stevie” Dicks
- Cee “Giant” Bush
- Niz the Biz
- Anna da Sliver
- etc etc etc
Tune in Oct. 27th between noon and 2 to hear these dear, brave, shameless people sing it for ya. Make a pledge to keep female radio around for another year online or by calling 514-907-9424.
Every pledge of $25 gets a thank-you gift! Pledges of $60 or more get, in addition to the regular thank-you gifts, a limited edition Venus tank top, designed by NOMN RYN of the Venus collective and silkscreened by us with love!
The first edition of the Total Eclipse music series has come and gone and it was a nutty and lovely way to kick off the CKUT Annual Funding Drive! Just in case you hadn’t heard about this happening, the concert series involved three consecutive nights of music at three different Montreal venues which were curated by three different CKUT radio shows and featured righteous local arteests…and this is what it looked like! Thanks to all the volunteers, CKUT staff, venue staff and local media who helped make this first crack at the series a successful fundraising venture for the station!! (All photos by Amber, Karen R. and a bunch of different music department volunteers! More photos to come!)
DAY 1 /// Thursday Oct. 20th /// Hosted by Underground Sounds at Casa del Popolo! Keywords: Gorgeous introspection + shimmering wall of effects/voice/rhythms + hilarious and disconcertingly intense stage relations complete with hip gyrations + epic-ly husky-vocal-ed rock music complete with harmonized guitar and honeyed bass lines + good buds everywhere.
DAY 2 /// Friday Oct. 21st /// Hosted by the Venus Collective at Divan Orange! Keywords: Black-masked post punk with big pre-recorded drums + lovely, primal poncho-draped dance party times + dark punk lighting the room with heraldic melodies.
***Word to the wise: get in contact with the funding dept. at CKUT to find out about nabbing a limited edition, silkscreened Venus radio tank top!
After this amazing-ness, Zimo played an amazing set…those photos are not yet available, but will be soon!
Tune in today to The Kitchen Bang Bang Law (Tuesdays from 12-2pm, hosted by Vince Tinguely) for a special CKUT Funding Drive show. Vince’s show, in his own words, is about “is about cutting-edge culture. It’s about dreaming beyond the barriers of cynical ‘common sense’ through radical sonic art forms, be they the working blues of the 20s or the avante garde drone of today.”
The show has featured a slew of amazing guest over the past year including theatre artists Émilie Monnet, Alison Darcy and Cat Kidd, activists / artists / curators Stefan Christoff, John W. Stuart and Kevin Yuen-Kit Lo, video artist and activist John Greyson, performance artists Victoria Stanton, Amalie Atkins, Janine Eisenaecher and Laura Margita,musicians Elwood Epps, Malcolm Goldstein, Christian Richer, Kathy Kennedy, Jahsun of Kalmunity Vibe Collective, Jean Smith and David Lester of Mecca Normal, Brahja Waldman and Kyra Shaughnessy, and poets and writers like Ian Ferrier, Moe Clark, Gail Scott, Carolyn Marie Souaid, Endre Farkas, Moheb Soliman, Jane Gabriels and Kaie Kellough.
Along with the amazing gifts available for all CKUT donors, Vince has the following gifts available to Kitchen Bang Bang Law supporters: aselection of vinyl LPs, CDs (and even a VHS tape!) from this year’s crate-digging:
- Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band – Live /`1975-1985 (5xLP box set) for a $30.00 pledge
- Buzzcocks – A Different Kind Of Tension (LP) for a $15.00 pledge
- Joan Jett – Bad Reputation (LP) for a $15.00 pledge
- Elton John – Madman Across The Water (original textured LP gatefold sleeve with booklet) for a $25.00 pledge
- Elton John – Tumbleweed Connection (original textured LP gatefold sleeve with booklet) for a $25.00 pledge
- Jean Michel Jarre – Equinox (LP) for a $10.00 pledge
- Jean Michel Jarre – Oxygene (LP) for a $10.00 pledge
- Laurie Anderson – Big Science (LP) for a $20.00 pledge
- Vangelis – China (LP) for a $10.00 pledge
- Style Council – The Cost of Living (2xEP gatefold) for a $20.00 pledge
- The Teardrop Explodes – Wilder (LP) for a $10.00 pledge
- Paul Horn – Inside The Great Pyramid (2xLP gatefold with insert) for a $25.00 pledge
- Eurhythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (LP, Mexican pressing) for a $15.00 pledge
- Joni Mitchell – Hejira (LP gatefold) for a $20.00 pledge
- Judy Collins – Who Knows Where The Time Goes (LP gatefold) for a $10.00 pledge
- Carole King – Tapestry (LP gatefold) for a $10.00 pledge10cc – The Original Soundtrack (LP gatefold) for a $10.00 pledge
- Stanley Turrentine – The Man With The Sad Face (LP) for a $10.00 pledge
- Gene Krupa – Big Noise From Winnetka (Japanese CD re-issue with replica LP sleeve) for a $20.00 pledge
- Bauhaus – Shadows and Light music video (VHS) for a $10.00 pledge
Phone in (Call 514.907.9424) or donate on-line!
Tune in at 8:15pm tonight for a sneak peak at Two Horses, the unreleased
album by local folkster Charlotte Cornfield.
At 9:15pm Sweet Mother Logic’s album Natural History, also unreleased,
will be airing from start to finish. We have two albums from each group available, listen at CKUT.ca or 90.3 FM, then donate (suggested $20) to win an advance copy and help our funding drive! 514-907-9424!